You play an instrument?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Well do you? I'm curious to see how many BoC fans also perform/play instruments. I played Alto Sax and a tiny bit of trombone when I was still in school (sax to trombone was a whole other world).

Who here plays some of they own music? Any instrument you've wanted to play but never had the chance? Do you perform/busk or do it for yourself? ANY type of instrument welcome, real interested to see what drums up from you guys.

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
I learned guitar and piano on my teen days, but that's all.

Eagle Minded
Been playing drums since I was a nipper, guitar since my teens, and I've occasionally dabbled with piano.

Also, I started learning the flute last year, but found it too difficult and gave up. It seems like a completely different approach to the other instruments and my dumb brain couldn't quite comprehend it. I'll likely try again at some point, but until then, consider me beat.

Sherbet Head
Sherbet Head wrote:Been playing drums since I was a nipper, guitar since my teens, and I've occasionally dabbled with piano.

Also, I started learning the flute last year, but found it too difficult and gave up. It seems like a completely different approach to the other instruments and my dumb brain couldn't quite comprehend it. I'll likely try again at some point, but until then, consider me beat.

If you ever get back to flute, once you learn one woodwind, you pretty much learn all of them. Fingering-positions are pretty similar. You a one-man-band :o

Eagle Minded
i currently go to a music school for piano and its made me really fucking good. every other instrument i play im just competent enough to not fall flat on my face with it every time, only around half of the time
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
I am using this thread to ask for advice from the forum --

I am looking into getting a external compressor effect for playing bass especially (the modified altec racks reissues would be nicest but they are expensive)

I was thinking it could bring to life the Squier bass6 I have (not using flat or tape wounds) as the high notes get a bit dingy and less punchy as the low strings which sound already great. Hoping it will fix that issue,

I also have a Klira Twen-Star 1964 (Hofner violin bass evil twin) with flatwounds and a Gibson EB3 with flatwounds -- how do these compressors sound with flats is it pointless I could not get any good comparisons using youtube videos. Honestly the Gibson sounds OK already. Weirdly the Klira is louder in high register.

So - bass compressor pedals -- any advice

thank you

Glen

Sherbet Head
The orange bass biamp pedal is a great pedal for punch and gain.

But you're looking for a compressor specifically, the mxr m87 bass compressor pedal is definitely worth looking into! For a rack unit, the RNC Real Nice Compressor is pretty cheap for its performance. I use it on everything and it works like a charm.
Last edited by NTFMTS on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
Sherbet Head wrote:Been playing drums since I was a nipper, guitar since my teens, and I've occasionally dabbled with piano.

I see that your avatar is ENTERTAINMENT DEATH by Spirit, let's collab some time lol.

Eagle Minded
Orange related I dragged my guitar to Guitar Center to try out compressors I will never do that again --

They had one I had not researched the JHS Pulp N Peel and I thought it sounded really good (did not buy it). Will look at the Bi-Amp and see what i can get out of it maybe that is what that is based off of. Not a fan of MXR comp so far though -- I have a few of their effects and like them though

Also will check out the RNC thanks for input

Sherbet Head
Glen_Glog wrote:Orange related I dragged my guitar to Guitar Center to try out compressors I will never do that again --

They had one I had not researched the JHS Pulp N Peel and I thought it sounded really good (did not buy it). Will look at the Bi-Amp and see what i can get out of it maybe that is what that is based off of. Not a fan of MXR comp so far though -- I have a few of their effects and like them though

Also will check out the RNC thanks for input

The og mxr comp (dyna comp) is pretty iffy but I've messed with it enough that I can get it for a great guitar tone for soloing. I've heard the JHS pulp n peel is pretty neat. Also sorry I misnamed the pedal I was talking about. It's the Bass Butler Biamp from Orange. It is really great because you can mix a clean and gain staged signal, with both channels having different things you can dial in, and also a dedicated compressor on it as well.

Dayvan Cowboy
I play the drums. I'm in two bands as well.

Sherbet Head
what bands if I may ask? I also was in a band called OroborO, but we went on hiatus at the start of covid.

Also any drummers in this thread, if you'd want to collaberate, or down to do sample stuff, I'm always interested in working with live drumming.

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:

I see that your avatar is ENTERTAINMENT DEATH by Spirit, let's collab some time lol.

Good spot. An incredible album with avatar-worthy artwork!

A collab would be fun, too! Sadly I have no facilities for recording drums (nor do I even have my kit set up anymore) but I do have a cheap Behringer interface for guitar and synth stuff :D

Sherbet Head
Sherbet Head wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:

Good spot. An incredible album with avatar-worthy artwork!

A collab would be fun, too! Sadly I have no facilities for recording drums (nor do I even have my kit set up anymore) but I do have a cheap Behringer interface for guitar and synth stuff :D

Hahaha no worries, but if I can dig through some unfinished stuff, I might dm you some of it at some point if you don't mind!

Also addressing the thread in general, is it okay if I share some photos of gear in this thread? I don't want to be obnoxious but it might be fun to swap photos of instruments / gear

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:what bands if I may ask? I also was in a band called OroborO, but we went on hiatus at the start of covid.

Also any drummers in this thread, if you'd want to collaberate, or down to do sample stuff, I'm always interested in working with live drumming.

I'll DM you!

Eagle Minded
Show yer gear man

Eagle Minded
Unleash the gear pics!

Eagle Minded
Thats a really nice Telecaster I would like to spew many Roy Nichols riffs if I had that

here is my fake Hofner stupid Klira bass :

That tele is sick man

Sherbet Head
rjoy14111 wrote:Absolutely, I'm a huge fan of Boards of Canada (BoC), and it's always fascinating to discover how many of their fans also have a musical inclination. Music has a unique way of bringing people together, and it's no surprise that many BoC enthusiasts find solace and inspiration in playing instruments.

I, for one, have been a percussionist for most of my life. I started with the drums, then expanded into playing the marimba and vibraphone. The transition from one instrument to another can indeed feel like entering a whole new musical dimension. It's a rewarding journey that allows you to explore different sounds and rhythms.

As for creating my own music, I've dabbled in it over the years. It's a fulfilling experience to compose and arrange your melodies, even if it's just for personal enjoyment. There's something magical about bringing your musical ideas to life.

Whether you perform or busk in public or simply create music for yourself, the act of playing an instrument is a beautiful form of self-expression. It's a way to convey emotions, tell stories, and connect with others on a profound level. The type of instrument you choose doesn't matter; what matters is the joy and fulfillment it brings to your life.
For those who have always wanted to play an instrument but haven't had the chance yet, I encourage you to take that leap. Learning to play an instrument can be a deeply rewarding journey that opens up new avenues of creativity and self-discovery.
So, fellow BoC fans and music enthusiasts, whether you're a seasoned musician or someone eager to start their musical journey, keep the passion for music alive. It's a universal language that brings people together, just like the enchanting sounds of Boards of Canada.
I'd be happy to provide information about the "Shadow Knights Mod Apk." However, as of my last knowledge update in September 2021, I don't have specific information about this particular modded game.

Pls go away

Next

Return to The Playground